• Română
  • English
  • Deutsch
  • Magyar

9. “ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST” ORTHODOX CHURCH Catedralei Square

“ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST”ORTHODOX CHURCH Catedralei Square

After the former church had been demolished, bishop Procopius Ivaşcovici (1853-1873) initiated the construction of a representative sanctuary in the so-called “Tekelija Garden”. The design belonged to the architect Anton Ziegler, native from Arad. The works took place between 1862-1865. The facade of the church is in Classical Baroque style and ends with a triangular tympanon.

The attic was added during the restoration which took place in 1905-1906, at the same time when the ornamentation for the towers was completed. The iconostasis was made by Mihai Ianici, the paintingsm belonging to Nicola Alexici and Ioan Zaicu. The bell dating from 1764 comes from the former Orthodox church. In 1966 three outer paintings in Byzantine style were made by the painter Eremia Profeta.



 

Archive listings

  • April 2013
  • News Archive

  • April 2013
  • Events archive

  • April 2013
  • Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Google Plus
    MBM Software - Romanian software outsourcing company -- Consultatie Online IntreabaExpertul.ro